The Oregon Safe Routes to School Spring Challenge is taking place this May
We encourage schools to plan events, whether students are learning in person or virtually, to promote walking and rolling during the month of May. Look below to find resources to share with families, plan your event, and order free incentives for your students.
Bike to School on May 5th
National bike to school day is Wednesday May 5, 2021. Ride to school if you are learning in person, or take a ride around your neighborhood if you are learning remotely. Learn more here.
Enter the SRTS Art Contest
This spring we’re encouraging students to ‘walk and roll’ outside for transportation and exercise. Using their real-life neighborhood, or just their big imaginations, we’re asking students to draw what they see when they walk or roll. All winners will be mailed a Walk+Roll goodie bag and have digital backgrounds created using their art and top winners from each age group will have their art used in future Oregon Department of Transportation ad campaigns like on buses and billboards. Click here to learn more and submit your child’s artwork.
Access the order form here. Orders must be placed by April 28 in order to arrive by May 5. Incentive ordering will remain open until May 31. Incentives include
- reflective shoelaces
- activity sheets
- coloring books
Schools in Portland, Tigard, Bend, Hillsboro, Eugene, and Springfield – please see your local Safe Routes websites to register and receive incentives. To get connected with your local SRTS coordinator, email email@example.com
Walk+Roll Event Planning Resources:
- Physical Distancing Resources and Walk+Roll E-Toolkit For Distanced Event Planning
- Coordinator Guide for In-Person Spring Challenge Events
- Classroom Weekly Scorecard
- Individual Student Scorecard for In-Person Tracking
- Individual Student Scorecard for Distanced Tracking
- How to Plan a Walk+Roll Event – National Resource
Walk+Roll Posters, Graphics, and Media Guides:
- Walk+Roll Spring Challenge Poster – English
- Walk+Roll Spring Challenge Poster – English (Editable)
- Walk+Roll Spring Challenge Poster – Spanish
- Walk+Roll Spring Challenge Poster – Spanish (Editable)
- Walk+Roll Spring Challenge Social Media Graphics in English & Spanish.
- 4 Key Media Messages
- Sample Walk+Roll Messages for Social Media, Newsletters, etc.
About the Walk+Roll Spring Challenge:
The first-ever National Bike to School Day took place on May 9, 2012, in coordination with the League of American Bicyclists’ National Bike Month. Almost 1,000 local events in 49 states and the District of Columbia joined together to encourage children to safely bicycle or walk to school.
The event builds on the popularity of Walk to School Day, which is celebrated across the country – and the world – each October. Many communities and schools have been holding spring walk and bicycle to school events for years. National Bike to School Day provides an opportunity for schools across the country to join together to celebrate and to build off of the energy of National Bike Month.
Thank you to our partners and sponsors: Safe Routes to School National Partnership, Oregon Department of Transportation, Oregon Safe Routes to School, and Oregon Screen Impressions.