Join the Commute Options team as the Safe Routes to School Coordinator for Central Oregon.
Timeframe: Position begins January 1, 2020 with 60 hours of part time training prior to start. Year round and based on contracts from the Oregon Department of Transportation and City of Bend
Compensation: Full time @ $18.00/hour plus benefits including phone, health insurance, and employer paid retirement contribution
Location: Bend, Oregon and surrounding communities. Some weekend/evening work may be required.
How to apply: To be considered for this opportunity, please send a 2-page (max) letter of interest/resume outlining how you will achieve the enclosed activities and your qualifications to Jeff Monson.
Due: November 1, 2019
SRTS – Safe Routes to School
NI – Non-Infrastructure
ODOT – Oregon Department of Transportation
The SRTS Coordinator reports to the Commute Options Executive Director and facilitates objectives and carries out program activities.
The primary duties of the SRTS Coordinator include but are not limited to:
- Completion of School Action Plans and assisting in carrying out goals as stated in action plans
- Delivering walk and roll safety education as lead instructor of program
- Planning and scheduling safety lessons at program schools
- Educational skills video production with assistance of Commute Options staff
- Working with school staff to train P.E. teachers on delivering walk and roll safety education
- Training school staff on P.E. and Health curriculum. Providing resources and feedback to school staff to sustain the integration of walk and roll safety education
- Connecting with schools to complete SRTS evaluation with parent surveys and student tallies
- Working with local law enforcement to encourage safe driving behaviors by motor vehicle drivers in school zones
- Outreach to parents and community members on active transportation benefits
- Assisting in recruiting and retaining volunteers
- Reviewing claims, logs and reporting on deliverables each quarter to ODOT and City of Bend
- Plan and conduct outreach activities outside of school instruction time (events, meetings, etc) encouragement events, Bike Nights, walking and roll to school events, May challenge month, survey + tally encouragement.
- Staff table at events to continue gathering support for SRTS
- Help in evaluating and assessing success of the program
- Document SRTS curriculum upon updates or innovations
- Walking School Bus Program assistance
- organizing events – time, prizes, etc
- communicating with team – parents, school administration, community partners
- attending and coordinating events – transportation of materials
- Special Projects (videos/movies, new curriculum i.e. P.E. and Health, new posters/tabling equipment, Walk and Roll Audits, etc.)
- Communicate schedule, events and staff needs to volunteers
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize work
- Attention to detail and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- A commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion and an understanding of how racism, sexism and other forms of systemic injustice intersect with SRTS programs
- Access to a bicycle in safe and working condition
- Reliable means of transportation (including bicycle)
- Ability to dedicate between 30-40 hrs/wk with a flexible schedule
- Experience working with children ages 5-13
- Interest in increasing the use of active transportation in our community
- Experience and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- 4-year degree or 2-3 years of professional experience in a related field
- Basic knowledge of bicycle mechanics/field fixing
About Commute Options and SRTS:
Commute Options envisions communities where people make thoughtful transportation choices to reduce the impact of driving alone. These decisions result in healthier individuals, safer streets, a cleaner environment, and a stronger economy.
Commute Options launched SRTS in 2005 as a way to encourage and educate Central Oregon children and parents on the benefits and safety knowledge of biking and walking to school. SRTS creates fun, convenient, and safe opportunities for children to walk and bike to and from school. Commute Options is currently working with elementary and middle schools in Deschutes and Jefferson County.