Sixty SRTS practitioners from all over Oregon came together in Salem to learn about new funding streams, best practices, shared lunch with old and new friends and took home some new tools to get the kids in your neighborhood walking and biking! It was an inspirational day, full of networking and finding new resources for Safe Routes to School work in Oregon. The group explored:
- Networking with other SRTS professionals
- Orientation for people new to SRTS
- Finding out about other practitioners’ successes and lessons learned
- Getting inspired by programs that can be replicated in your community
- Learning about the Oregon SRTS Network, resources, and opportunities
The next day, 20 individuals from across the state joined with Brian Potwin, of Commute Options,
to learn about the “E’s” of Safe Routes to School and real actions they can take to start or grow a SRTS program in their own communities. Participants came from Tigard, Corvallis, Central Oregon, Grant’s Pass, and Portland for this free training and skill-building day, funded by our partners at ODOT Transportation Safety Division.